Non-NHS Services - we are currently unable to offer private services. Due to Covid 19 our practice can only offer essential NHS services
Some services provided are not covered under our contract with the NHS and therefore attract charges. Examples include the following:
- Medicals - please check with practice for confirmation
- Adoption/Fostering medicals
- Insurance claim forms - please note that completion of these forms may take several weeks.
- Prescriptions for taking medication abroad
- Private sick notes
- Vaccination certificates
- Signing Power of Attorney Forms - but please read our leaflet - each request is considered on an individual basis. Please note - VOCAL (Voices of Carers Across Lothian) are able to prepare Power of Attorney Forms for carers - please look at their website for further information.
The fees charged are based on the British Medical Association (BMA) suggested scales and we will be happy to advise you of them, along with appointment availability.
However, we must advise that we cannot provide the following services:
- Applications for Firearms/Shotgun certificates - The practice has made the decision to no longer fill in these forms. However, the practice is happy to facilitate a private GP or service to provide this service by providing access to your GP records as required, with your permission. Please telephone the practice to discuss this further.
- Signing passport forms
- Signing driving license photo cards.
- Signing gym membership forms.
Private GP services are available out with our practice, please click here for information regarding provision across Lothian.
*COVID-19 - practice travel clinic suspended*
Local Travel clinics*
Western General Hospital Travel Clinic
Crewe Road South,Edinburgh
Telephone: 0131 537 2823
Carberry Estate, East Lothian
Telephone: 0845 375 2545
Superdrug Travel Clinic
83 Princes Street, Edinburgh
Telephone: 0131 220 2783
*Please note that Strathesk Medical Practice does not promote these services and is completely independent from them. These are not recommendations and other private travel clinics are available.
Your local pharmacy will also be happy to discuss medications with you, including malaria tablets.
The NHS Fit For Travel website provides lots of useful information and up to date news and travel health advice.
If you are visiting Europe, you may find it helpful to visit https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu_en for travel and health advice.