IMPORTANT - Fit Note (Sick line) Requests – Temporary Change to Procedure Due to Covid 19
- Please request fit notes via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you do not have internet access, we will accept your request over the telephone.
- All fit notes will be posted to patients; they cannot be collected from the practice.
- The practice will not be issuing sick lines for patients who are self isolating due to Covid-19, however employers should respect the need to stay at home, please see guidance from HRMC for more details.
- If, following official advice, you are self isolating for 7 to 14 days because you are unwell or someone in your household is unwell, please visit the Official NHS Isolation Note website to obtain an isolation note.
You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.
Evidence that you are sick
If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).
It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work.
A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.
You can request a medical certificate from your GP as long as you have had contact with a healthcare professional prior to making your request. This could mean you have had a GP or nurse appointment, been seen at the Out of Hours Service, or have recently been in hospital. As long as we have received communication regarding your current illness from any NHS service out with our practice, a medical certificate can usually be issued.
You may pick up a medical certificate request form from our reception desk or print one off from the link below and hand into the surgery.
Alternatively you can download a request form to fill in electronically then save to your device and email to us at email@example.com
Please click Medical Certificate Request Form to download.
Requests take 48 hours to process and sometimes the doctor will need to see you or speak with you before issuing a certificate. Certificates can be backdated but not forward dated.
You may also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. your dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.
Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'
The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.
For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)